Monday, September 11, 2006

11 September 2006, Orcalab reports:

Multiple pod calls audible.

Life began again around 3am when we heard the A30s heading east back in Johnstone Strait. After an hour we began to hear distant G clan calls coming up from the east. Since then there has been steady movement. The I11s just went through Blackney Pass and are now in Blackfish Sound while the rest,the A30s,I15s,I31s,A36s and the other G groups, are spread out foraging from CP to the area off of Robson Bight.
Helena
11 Sep 2006 07:27:48 PDT

No orcas present.

After the I11s went through Blackney Pass the other groups( the A30s,I15s,I31s,G2s,G3s,G18s,G29s,G12s and the A36s) all went through Weynton Pass on the ebb tide and then stalled for quite a while in Queen Charlotte Strait. They still seem determined to remain there and are even heading west off Lizard Point, despite the strong flooding tide which should be encouraging them to come back. There was a report of a group of 8 heading west at Stimpson Reefs quite a while ago but we have not heard anything turn up near the Ecological Reserve yet. So it is a very in between day today.
Helena
11 Sep 2006 15:59:25 PDT